Philanthropy has been at the heart of RGS High Wycombe for over 450 years during which time the Foundation has provided a wide range of academic and pastoral support through named scholarships and bursaries. It remains a key principle of the Foundation to support to all students to fulfil their potential and, today, the Foundation assists many of our current students each year.
As a registered charity, the RGS Foundation derives its funding from both asset-generated and voluntary income and is the vehicle through which all of the School’s fundraising is directed. Governed by a Board of Trustees, the Foundation is responsible for managing the generation and disbursement of a number of restricted and unrestricted funds, to ensure the educational welfare of all students and to support the capital and operational aspirations of the Academy.
If you would like to find out more, or support a new or existing fund, please contact Lucy Marshall, External Relations: email@example.com
With a proud history of over 450 years, the leading selective state school known as the Royal Grammar School High Wycombe can trace its roots to a refuge for the needy.
The Hospital of St John the Baptist, established in the 13th century in Easton Street, was run as a brotherhood to care for the elderly poor of Wycombe. In the 1530s, Henry VIII seized numerous religious institutions in his bid to oust the influence of Catholicism. Continuing confiscations rendered ownership of the Hospital unclear. Eventually it was made over to the Borough of Wycombe in April 1549 by Master of the Mint, Sir Edward Peckham, on proviso that, “a Grammar School to be founded” within two years. A Preliminary Charter was rushed through in 1551, followed by the Royal Charter in 1562.
After the English Reformation, grammar schools exclusively taught Latin and Greek – the clerical languages – which didn’t find favour in High Wycombe. The 1800s saw new impetus with an increased annual salary of £50 for the master, reinvigorated teaching and new buildings in the 1880s.Three decades later the School needed more space. The current site on Amersham Hill opened in 1915 with provision for 200 boys, quickly becoming oversubscribed. New buildings have been added over the last century and the School now educates nearly 1,400 day boys and boarders.
Reg name: Wycombe Royal Grammar Foundation CIO
Registered number: 1179234